Monday, February 11, 2013


Hello,

I am enjoying life still.  

Rode a lot this week, down to Yangmei from Pingzhen, out to Huwei and the coast with my companion to see the ocean. I know all these names mean nothing to you but I hope you know I'm tired. Lots of fun exchanges with interesting people who teach me a lot. The assistants stole me and made me go back to Taipei.  Fun to serve back in the central district of the city.
 
We are in the middle of Chinese new year. The fireworks and festivities are still big, but not nearly as nuts as last year when I was in Taidong on the east coast. That place exploded for this, so much crazy stuff going on, here is not too weird. We'll see how the rest of the week goes. Members will be and have been feeding us lunch and dinner every day. I will probably gain weight like I did last year. Worth it though. I ate sea cucumber last night. Lots of really good food.
 
Last night we were out on the street and saw this big white man with long hair, stopped him and his name is Mack and he is a lobster fisherman from Nova Scotia. It's an interesting story how he got here. We talked about God and he is our new friend, and we tried to read the Book of Mormon with him but he never learned to read or write. Somehow has still successfully created his own lobster business. He may come hang out with us today for P day. One of the more interesting white people I have met in Taiwan.
 
I had an epiphany while reading Jesus the Christ, learned that prayers aren't really about the words in the end, but about the feelings: that it is your spirit, your heart, your desires, communicating with the Father, and that this form of communication is so much more pure; that we as humans must direct these thoughts through the medium of language, but that when we pray with real emotion, pray through our innermost desires, the communication is that much more real. So I have really been trying to pray more with my heart, and it has already led to miracles. On the street, we met a man, and I said a prayer with him and did it with as much of my heart as I could, and when we finished the man was in tears. I know that this is because of the spirit, and because God answers when we ask with "a sincere heart and real intent". It is amazing how I have never understood this simple principle before.

 When I was serving in Nankan about a year ago, we had met with a member’s nephew, who is twelve and comes to church a lot but has never been baptized. I don't know why, but he hasn't continued meeting with the missionaries since then. He must have just been lost, because we had been whitewashed when I left back then. This week I saw him at church and remembered him, and we were able to start meeting with him again, and now he lives in our area and he was willing to set a baptismal date. I feel like the Lord is giving me a chance to help this kid and do what I didn't finish before.
 
We taught the atonement to an investigator and I asked him "how does it make you feel to know that Christ died for you?" and he pondered for a pretty long time, and answered, "I really want to know him." Reminds me of 3 Ne. 27:14 "And my Father sent me that I might be lifted up upon the cross; and after that I had been lifted up upon the cross, that I might draw all men unto me, that as I have been lifted up by men even so should men be lifted up by the Father..." I love my Savior and I know his atonement does draw men to him, and it does change us, and I am so grateful that I can testify of Him each day.

 What else is there to say. I love my mission, it is going great, we are working hard. I expect to continue to do so.

I love you all so much. 

Elder Braithwaite
 
We made pots last pday at this city in Taoyuan County known for ceramics.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment