Sunday, March 3, 2013

 
Family,
 
I am happy to be here. Still loving the mission. Had a lot of spiritually powerful lessons this week. Our investigator Brother Li will be doing a baptismal interview this week. I love that guy, he is very pure, very simple, which is special for a college student. We met him on the street 5 weeks ago, literally did nothing but say hello and be friendly for a minute, and then invited him to come to church with us on Sunday. His family is a pretty devout branch of Buddhism, they are all vegetarian and all that, but on Sunday he actually came and liked it, and has kept coming back.  Now has heard all the lessons and loves reading the book of Mormon every day. It is funny to me -- did I really have to be a missionary to say hi to a stranger and invite him to church? I probably wouldn't have done it if I wasn't, but it wouldn't have changed anything if I was just a normal member. Some people are just ready to hear it. All he needed was an invite.
 
Elder Andersen and I had to go back to Taipei this week for meetings, so we decided to ride our bikes up the rural hilly roads between Taoyuan and Taipei instead of taking the train. It was an adventure, fun to see what is up there, it has probably been years since any missionaries have every been up there. After about an hour we desceded into West Taipei and it was just packed city again. And I got a flat tire, which was bad and was exactly what I had said would happent the night before but my companion said, stop worrying, that won't happen. But we got a member to save us and take us the rest of the way to central Taipai for our meeting.
 
Why did God tell us not to worship idols? Sharing that with an investigator. God wants us to be happy so much. There is no better way than putting him before everything else. When anything in life becomes more important than Heavenly Father, you are giving up some happiness. The secret is right there in the first two of the ten commandments.
 
Got to exchange with an elder who played rugby and we spent an hour just talking about it, when we definitely should have been studying Chinese. However, I realized I miss that. But being here is worth it. YA!
 
I am including a picture of some gods parading around at this festival last week, up at a temple in Longtan. They are about fifteen feet tall, there are about 7 or 8 different gods, they walk around the city streets and then gather at the temple, and then leave. A lot of people came to watch, it was fun to see.
 
Love you!
Elder Braithwaite

No comments:

Post a Comment